Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bald Eagle Messages

      I have heard the sacred call of birds my entire life. I always remember watching birds, lying for hours on my bed observing the bird feeder, trying to catch them, and feeling I was very much like a bird.  I spent much of my childhood flying in my dreams nearly every night.  I did not know of astral travel at the time, but upon awakening I was so convinced I could fly, my mother was afraid I would jump from a tree.  I enjoyed the peace, solitude, and height of my favorite maple tree, but never considered jumping.  I now believe my tree retreat was my innate way of grounding myself in the solid branches, and firm roots deeply reaching into the earth, after a night of soaring the heavens.  I will write much more about this, and my connection with many birds in future posts, as it is a key to my spiritual evolution.
      My recent call from the avian world is from the Bald Eagle.  I have to admit, this very majestic, powerful and high-flying medicine is overwhelming to me.  I feel unworthy, but I have to follow this path.  When I speak of "Medicine," I refer to the Native American meaning;  connection with the Great Spirit, and all of creation, to heal the body, mind and soul.  I  discovered eagle-cams last year.  They are growing in number around the country to monitor eagle nests, and provide a window into the lives of these amazing raptors.  I was amazed at the thousands of people who like me, watched the eagle parents  rearing eaglets on towering nests of sticks eighty feet in the air.  This technology is miraculous!  I held my breath as the eaglets with unsteady, gangly bodies, so close to the edge of the nest, swayed  to and fro in high winds.   I cried at the sheer strength and commitment  of the Eagle parents; their protective wings covered with new-fallen snow.   Eagle-cam addicts, myself included,  sobbed when we heard a mother eagle we had been following in Norfolk collided with an airplane while her chicks were still in the nest.  I took many notes of Bald Eagle habits hoping to write an article,  possibly a poem, or a song, about their lessons for me, and the world.  I did not write about them, other than in my journal.  Life gets in the way sometimes. 
      I have seen bald eagles in the wild a few times in flight.  It is always a special treat, the energy it gives me sustains my spirit for weeks.  However, in the past three weeks I have seen a Bald Eagle three times near my home, and during meditation have been visited by what at first appeared as the piercing eye of an unknown raptor.  I now know her as an eagle, and when asked what I should call her, she responded, Nila. The name means she who succeeds or acquires.  She does not say much, but watches, peering into my soul with eyes that see everything.  I have prayed for wisdom, to find my way, for understanding of the call inside me that I cannot explain, but must be answered.  She tells me to sit in Spirit, ask for help, and appreciate the guidance I have been given throughout my entire life from my guides.  She tells me to study, think and meditate, and to be in communication with them often.  She says I am on the right path, I must believe her.  

       Bald Eagles have been revered and used as symbols of power the world over.  They have always been used by shamans to see above the mundane, view the big picture, and connect with the Divine.  In Native American tradition they are believed to be messengers from Spirit, their feathers have strong healing powers, and their strength gives courage to soar above,  while remaining connected to the earth and the Source.  Eagle medicine has the power to transform dreams to reality, with hard work, and  higher intentions than ego.  Eagles are the king of birds, but they live in delicate balance with all life.  Soaring on unseen currents of air, slowly spiraling higher and higher, it appears easy.  Perhaps with keen awareness, developed perceptions that reach inward and ever upward; with humility and faith we can all rise to the call of Bald Eagle.
     Yesterday morning, while on my long commute home from work. I spotted a Bald Eagle perched high in a tree along the frozen banks of Lake Champlain.  I rolled down the windows of the truck, and inched as close as possible, trying not to disturb.  She turned her head around to look at the truck, but continued viewing the entire landscape from her lofty branch.  I sat in awe for nearly ten minutes, until she lifted off the branch with wings outstretched, slowly lifting into flight.  Never had I seen an Eagle's flight so closely.  How fortunate I was to have witnessed this, and even snapped a few photos with my phone. 
     Yesterday evening I received a call from my family. It was a message of bad news, of which I will write later.  I am reeling, feel powerless, afraid, aware that I will need to leave the solitude of my beloved home in Vermont to travel to be with my parents.  I am almost numb this morning with the weight of it.  Everything I worried of yesterday before the news is washed away with my tears. A new perspective, indeed.
       I recall when my mom and I saw a Bald Eagle, a few years ago, flying over the car, on the bridge to the island.  It was her first, and I believe her only sighting, and we gasped and pointed and reached out hand in hand  to connect in the moment.   We both cherish that memory.  With tears of remembrance falling onto my keyboard; I pray for strength of Eagle, swift, easy flight of healing energy and the wisdom and love of all my companions.

Bald Eagle spotted January 20, 2012 in Alburgh, Vermont.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. May the fears around whatever news you received be tempered with the best possible lessons in your forthcoming experiences. May the sacred care you saw offered in the eagles' nests be of comfort and inspiration to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a local Bald Eagle; I love to watch him fly over the lake and see him dive for a fish and flying off with it clutched in his talons. He is so beautiful! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete